Remember that scene in Jerry McGuire where he’s having a meltdown and he’s begging Rod, “Help me, Rod. Help me. Help me to help you. Help ME to help YOU!”
Sometimes I have people come in for a haircut but have no idea what they want. Or they think they don’t. Being the professional that I am, I know that they always have some idea, even if they can’t quite articulate it. That’s where my experience and love of what I do comes in.
But you can help ME to help YOU. Here’s how.
There are so many different styles out there. My approach is to begin by asking elimination questions. (That makes me sound like a doctor but that’s not what I mean.)
Write these down, girls, and post them on your refrigerator so you can spend the night before coming to see me asking these of yourself.
- Do you want to keep your hairstyle’s length?
- Do you want to be able to still pull it back?
- Do you want to cut it short/keep it long?
- Do you want babydoll bangs, swoopy bangs, or other kinds of bangs?
- Do you want it conservative or a little funky?
- Do you blow dry your hair or air dry?
- Do you use hair product?
- Have you had a short hairstyle before and did you like it?
- Have you had it long hairstyle before and did you like it?
- Which celebrity’s hair style made you consider selling your soul to get it?
- Do you want to be able to just run out of the house in the morning?
- Or are you fine putting some time in doing your hair?
Then I pull out the books, we look at pics, and then we talk. About your hair, about your boyfriend/girlfriend, about your job, about that wild weekend in Vermont.
It’s always a good idea and helps me a ton if you do a little research yourself or at least think of the questions before hand. (They’re right there on the refrigerator, girlfriend.)
When it comes to color it’s more of the same.
- Do you want low maintenance or wash and wear?
- Do you want highlights?
- Do you want lowlights?
- Do you want all over color (meaning one color)?
- Blonde, Dark, Red?
- Have you had it light before/have you had it dark before, did you like it?
- Which celebrity’s color made you turn green with envy?
Look online and in magazines and see what you are attracted too. Can you see yourself in that style or that color?
Even if you think you have no idea what you want or what will look good, we always have a little of what we want and don’t want in the back of our minds. I’m hear to tease it out before I tease your hair. C’mon down and let’s get to it!